Sunday, February 1, 2009

STATE OF THE UNION MESSAGE

click photo's to enlarge I've been just messing around looking at my own blog and wondering about stuff. I've come to the conclusion that in the short almost 5 years since I have move to Tennessee; I have done more stuff than the average guy can usually do in almost a lifetime. I mean I just click on one blog entry and go to another and on and on and on. I don't do city stuff but as far as wilderness type experiences goes I've done and seen a lot. And I feel I'm just getting started. The canoe has opened up an entirely new avenue for adventure and camping experiences. The Gheenoe is waiting to go wherever I point it. And the motorcycle is ready right now to take me to BC if I ask it to. And I got the best friends in my dogs a man ever had; and they are always ready to surprise me with some antic. I am and always was inclined to do things in the wilderness areas and enjoy the minimalist experiences. Never did go much for bars, restaurants and malls. I haven't even been in Knoxville in two years. The biggest town I have been to is Maryville and that's where I work. Even there, I take the country road back home to my little warehouse hole in the wall home. Nothing more than a big dog house really. The dogs outnumber me six to one. Sometimes I feel like I'm the visitor here. Tennessee has presented an opportunity to really get away from people and humanity and to wander around over water and country that is truly wilderness and unencumbered by private ownership. Pennsylvania doesn't have the endless forests and doesn't have the huge waterways as does Tennessee. When hiking Pennsylvania woods and trails back in the early 90's, the only forest creatures I could come across were porcupines and deer. Occasionally I would come across a rattle snake or a skunk and squirrels. But here in Tennessee I see a multitude of wildlife. Every trip on the lake is like a trip through a wildlife kaleidoscope. On any excursion I can see deer swimming across a lake, great herons, otter, vultures at the lake's edge, wild boar, beaver, black bear, loons, storks, egrets, osprey's and bald eagles. The wild boar are so plentiful along selected lake edges that one must take care on selecting a camp site. Douglas is a comfort in that regard as he is the best alarm there is. He hears and sees all. I have not bettered myself financially with this move. But I have greatly enriched my life. I've met new friends and have lost one very good one. I would have never known him had I not moved here. I have fallen in love for the second time in my life and have not been able to handle the experience. A weakness on my part. I will not allow love to happen in my life again. I have even had the good fortune of landing a job with the prestigious TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency). And I currently work for the best motorcycle dealership on the planet; Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson. My dogs are my family now and each of them has a personality that I must fuel with understanding and compassion. They depend on me and I do them. They are comfort in the cold of winter and offer companionship at all times. They give me their undying dedication and ask for nothing in return. They are simplistic in their needs and I go overboard trying to protect them and give them comfort when all they need is a shelter, food and water. So It's been a fast 5 years since I've arrived in this beautiful place. If the health holds out there will be lots of adventures to come. The golden dog will be on the point of the boat and we'll be stirring things up in the back country this year. I am looking forward to a lot more blog entries and a lot more experiences with Douglas and the other guys. I hope you continue to enjoy this blog.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments