Monday, December 31, 2018

HOLSTON RIVER ABOVE JOHN SEVIER STEAM PLANT

I haven't been assigned o the Holston at John Sevier in seven years now.  Its with delight that I put the boat into that water to start another year of assignment.  I look forward with excitement at being on my favorite water in East Tennessee.  



 The browns of winter can be tolerated because the greens and colors of summer are on the way shortly and there is no prettier water than this part of the river when spring has sprung.
 The beaver lodge below has been there forever it seems.  It is a land mark

 Below is Big Creek.  It flows all the way up to and past Amis Mill in Rogersville.  It is only navigable for about three miles - further by canoe as I remember.

 The left upstream shoreline is spectacular even in the winter.  The lack of human habitation has kept this river primitive.

 The picture above and below have not been enhanced.  It is the sun and blue sky that adds flavor to the photograph.


Below is a drowned baby angus calf.  Fast water has no mercy for the unprepared.

 Swallow nests under the old railroad bridge

 My old friend.  This is the male of a pair I've watched for, I think, 8 years in all
This old fella and his bride produced 16 young eagles over the years and I've photographed them all as immature eagles.

 And, a new great blue heron rookery has been established on the south shoreline.  Actually it was there seven years ago but has been expanded up the shore with the addition of about 15 new nests.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments