Friday, September 21, 2012

AN ORDINARY DAY-NOTHING SENSATIONAL EXCEPT LIFE!

I was in one of my favorite areas this afternoon.  It was in this area that I photographed the deer.  Mighty Manfriend (Shade) accompanied me on this ride today.  I missed having her along lately.  She had a blast too.  Since we were driving into the sun I thought it would be a good time to try shooting cormorants using spot metering rather than average metering.  The results were heavily shaded images.  I kind of like them.
Shade selected a position on the bow where she could keep watch for floating logs and other debris.  She was totally alert.  "Hey Shade - keep a sharp eye out."
Sorry girl - I know you don't need reminded how important your job is.  It sure is comforting to know she is on watch and staying sharp, ready to react to danger and help guide the boat safely through all emergencies.

Oh boy!  "What do you mean by no treat no work?  And don't you look at me that way!"
The cormorants were standing on any piece of drift wood available.  These birds are impressive when they fly.  I've talked about them before.  They are very common on the lakes and one gets used to seeing them but, the dynamic actions they present when taking flight are not matched by any other bird. 
 They start out running across the water and when the speed is right they hop, hop, hop with the last hop working with the powerful wings to push and lift the bird's body into flight.. The hops leave singular splash patterns behind the bird.  I love it.










 I see that spot metering isn't the way to go in this situation.  Better to use average metering.


I drove along the shoreline to the limit of my area.  I checked the little cove where I saw the deer.  They were not there.  As I returned downstream at the end of my shift I had to pass the cove again.  I checked it closely.  That tiny indentation in the cliff  I call a cove is a little wildlife paradise.


The little inlet seems empty without the deer.  But, look closely.  There is an osprey sitting on top of the tall, dead tree.  He is a great distance away.

 That is a long reach even for a 500 mm lens.  He launched off the tree and flew directly toward the boat.






I expected those deer to appear at any second.  But, they didn't.  There were two little red light bulbs sitting on the old, enormous fallen tree.  


Another little visitor landed on the old, dead tree.

 A red bellied woodpecker was hammering on the old snag.  He was probably getting his fill of termites.
The above shots are very long shots indeed.  I was just curious what the lens could do at these distances.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

This spot right here is the prettiest spot on Douglas Lake I think and its right beside the little deer cove.  Time for a sandwich and a quart of water.  There's a great little pull-in just below the deer cove.



 I'm so tired of peanut butter and jelly.
There you have it.  Nothing big happened today.  There were even some fishermen out but no one kept a fish.  They couldn't catch enough to make it worth while to keep any.   Tomorrows Saturday and I'm back in this same area.  We'll see what happens then.  See you then.



No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments