Thursday, January 25, 2018

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN?

These steps are located near the Pigeon River below the Duke Power Dam just off the interstate 40 Waterville exit.  They allow access to the top of that cliff you see which is where a section of the Appalachian Trail passes through.  They are very steep and made of flat, shale rock with cement applied at the edges to hold the stone in place.  They appear ancient as does the condition of the trail and the sign at the top of the steps.  Shade and I will check that trail out one day when I'm off.  As a note, the Sundquist State Forest is very near to this trail access as is Max Patch Bald and I am guessing this is National Park property.  If not it is very, very close to the park.






 View from the top

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments