Saturday, December 12, 2009

CAMP WILDCAT

click on photos to enlarge



While driving back from the dog transport this afternoon;  I noticed a sign that said Camp Wildcat, Civil War Battlefield.  I had never heard of it.  I was high up on a mountain in Kentucky and couldn't imagine the war touching this wilderness area, or why it should want to touch it.  It seems that in the 17 and 1800s, communities used the wilderness trail as a thoroughfare to move supplies and populations through and to the wilderness of the Kentucky frontier.  Thank you Daniel Boone.  The South moved supplies along this corridor also and it caught the attention of the Northern commanders.  The Battle at Camp Wildcat was the result.  On October 21, 1861 the first battle in Kentucky between the North and the South occurred.  I took pictures of the story plaques under a pavilion on the battle site that explains it all.  Incidentally;  this battlefield site is deep in the forested mountains and is difficult to find and to get to.  The road is dirt and about three miles long to the site.  It is an interesting place to visit.  I shall return on the motorcycle this Spring.


Don't forget to click on the photo's.  The story will be easier to read.


I could not get the entire sign in the shot so I took a picture of the bottom half of the sign to capture the entire story.























Yes;  it's the real thing.









Civil War battlefields always leave me feeling somewhat depressed.  It is hard to imagine the violent confrontations that have taken place during that period of history.  The carnage that occurred is unimaginable; yet, it happened.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments