Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE GOLDEN DOG GIVES ME A SCARE!

click on photos to enlarge
Today is overcast, wet and cold just like the previous seven or eight days were.  I'm still trying to get that canoe in the water but am not realizing the passion for it with this drizzly, cold, overcast weather.
The temperature, at 37 degrees, is fine for a paddle on the lake.   I just wish this rain drizzle would stop.  I decided to gather he dogs together for a bit of exercise down at the deserted state park.
The place was totally void of human presence and all that could be heard were a few birds chattering here and there.  A squirrel crosses the road in front of us and goes unnoticed by the dogs.  Some hunters!
I paid my respects to the old ruins and moved on down the road that leads to nowhere and disappears into the lake.
Douglas and Shade were moving every direction with urgency.  They had accumulated a lot of pent up energy over the past few cold weeks.  Our times on the trail have been brief through the cold weather.
They seemed to find the lake water comforting although nether one lounged in the water for long.


Straight up the embankment they went to explore the forest above.  They have endless energy and power.
I looked up toward the cliff top and was amazed to see the golden dog walking down a fallen tree trunk.  The tree had fallen from the top of the cliff.  This vision concerned me.  He was so very high!
Then my fear came to reality.  The rotten bark crumbled under his feet and he slipped off the tree trunk and fell to the ground.
The fall was maybe twelve to fifteen feet and he hit the ground very hard.   The sound of him hitting the ground was sickening.   He didn't move.
Blood surged in my heart and I threw my pack and camera to the ground and rushed over to him.  I thought "no, no.!"
He made no effort to get up.  I picked him up and started for the truck as fast as I could.  He just looked at me as I carried him.  I went on until exhausted and carefully laid him down.  I needed a moment to catch my breath.  He rolled onto his stomach and stood up on shaky legs.  "Great, I said out loud."  He then limped favoring his right front leg.  Then he limped over to me and sat facing me.  This is not like Douglas the individualist.  He was looking for sympathy.  He got it too.  I got up and walked slowly and Douglas followed.  He soon was beside me, then ahead.  It wasn't long until he was out front with Shade, the black lab.  He was still favoring his leg though.  The limp gradually diminished and finally disappeared.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  I hope he learned a lesson.  He is not invincible.  We'll take a rest at the ruins walls and I'll watch him to see if there may be any further symptoms of pain exhibited.  Guess he mostly had the wind knocked out of him.  Had there been boulders, rocks or sharp broken off tree snags on the ground;  it would have been a different outcome.   He's a lucky guy.  That was a terrible fall!  Guess I better walk back and get my pack.
He appears to be fine after the rest at the ruins.  He's ranging out into the forest further and further and the limp appears all but gone.  I should have yelled at him when I saw him out on that log.  But then, what would I expect him to do;  turn around and go back?  Hardly!
Thats my boy!
I'll  decide about the canoe ride on the drive home.  If this miserable day turns a bit brighter;  I'll go.  Thanks for checking in.  See you later.