Saturday, August 13, 2011

UPCOMING CANOE PADDLE


I just wanted to throw this little entry in here to let you know I'll be taking the Champlain up Cloud Creek in a couple days.  I selected the Champlain because she's fast and light and I want to make time.   The creek flows into the Holston River just below the John Sevier Steam Plant.  I have no idea what I will find up that little branch but we'll find out.  If you'll remember, I took the Gheenoe up the Cloud until I ran into very shallow water with big rocks on the bottom.  The Champlain should have no such problems.
On another note;  Happy got to try out her new PFD today.  She was the talk of the lake and received many oohs and ahs from the Lady's on fishing boats.  Happy ate it up.
She has a habit of walking right on the edge of the gun wales, which are about 4 inches wide, and any change of throttle would surely throw her into the drink.
This personal floatation device, PFD, will not only assure she stays afloat but it will keep her head up out of the water.







She's such a little thing that I doubt she would have the strength to stay afloat for long.  She is a great swimmer though.  She had a great teacher.  I can also see her hundreds of yards away if she falls in.





I noticed on shore what I took for beaver cuttings.  I had to have a look.
Sure enough, there were beaver here.  The cuttings were fresh too.  I tried to find their lair.






These guys were active too.  They had a lot of trees marked with their teeth.  Hey;  it's their habitat and they should be able to do with it as they wish.





I can't find any dens or tunnels in the undercut bank.  I wonder if they forage at night.  They can't live really far.






I may camp out here in the near future and see if I can't get some pictures of these little guys.  I took the boat to Buffalo Springs, our TWRA Region work center, and had Shade ride along too.  She was ready to go.  She hung out with me while I washed the boat.  What a great dog!  After I got done with the boat;  I went for a walk with her just to cement an already tight bond between us.
It was very hot today and I didn't want to stay out too long with her.  Her black hair absorbs the heat.
She was the perfect dog, never going further than about 30 feet in any direction and coming back to me when called.  Just great!
As I said;  this is just a little entry to remind you that I'll be canoeing on a new creek about mid week.  There are a lot of canoe people who check in and they seem to like the canoe outings.  So, stay tuned and we'll see what happens on Cloud Creek.  A canoe camp out is planned for around next weekend also.  See you then.

Douglas;  You'll be with me too.  I'll never leave you behind, ever.   You are always in my mind and in my heart and I am still amazed at your beautiful golden, flowing body as you move through the woods and in the water.   And I miss you terribly!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments