Friday, August 10, 2012

THE WILD TURKEY - almost our countries representative

click photos to enlarge
Early morning is the best time to be on a lake.  Quiet, sweet smells and peace are welcome companions.

 The hen turkey was just standing there on top the log.  Odd, I thought.  I went into my usual stealth mode and tried to approach her.  I was fooling no one.  She had her eye on me from the moment the boat rounded the bend and entered the little cove.


I had been on the water since 6:30 AM and rain had just started to fall at 10 AM.  This cove would be the last place I'd check for anglers in boats.  I only found one fisherman this morning but he had his limit of crappie's.  It looked like a storm was brewing but storms weren't predicted until tonight.  It was apparent where the rain was, however.
This turkey was hard to figure.  They don't usually just hang around when humans are in their faces.  She soon had enough of my shenanigans.   Off the log she hopped but, she still hung tight to that log.

Then I saw why she was not running away.  The tall grass started moving in front of the log.  Little brown bodies with necks stretched out and low to the ground were rapidly running along toward the forest.  They were her babies and there were many of them.  I couldn't get focused on them.  They were too well hidden in the grass.  The best I could do was catch a glimpse of them here and there.



Everyone was gone in an instant.  Its interesting to know that Benjamin Franklin recommended to congress that the wild turkey be designated the bird to represent America.  The bald eagle won out though.  The turkey would have been a good choice too.  
OK - here's the ducks of the day:


This was proving to be a very slow day on the lake.  I would soon load up the boat and go to our work center at Buffalo Springs to finish out the morning.  How about a few flowers?  Flowers are cool.  I'm a diverse kind of guy so, here's some flowers.  Thanks for checking out the blog.
















Let the beautiful things in nature enter your life.  Embrace nature.  Your life will be profoundly affected.  Hope you enjoyed my morning.

3 comments :

  1. I DID enjoy, the color of those flowers jumped right out of the computer! I could see the little heads of all hen turkeys chicks, so cute and so smart. Mama has taught them well to retreat to the safety of the forest! I agree, the wild turkey would have been an excellent choice for our national bird, but the bald eagle rules! Gary, Monday's blog may interest you... it's pictures I took at Devil's Den State Park just a few miles from here. My grandson and I went hiking and got some great shots! Loved my visit... you have the best job in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, the flowers are beautiful, and the grasshopper on one and the bee on another. The turkey's were an added plus. Your weather must be improving in your area of the country. Everything looks really bright and green in your pictures. My garden and wild flowers are my passion as well as nature. You give your readers a wonderful presentation of all nature. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual Gary great pics and interesting story,Thanks.Dick

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments