Wednesday, August 28, 2013

AND SOME FISHING

You read it right.  I actually did some fishing today on the river.  I did a slow run up and back down the river looking for wildlife and finding very little wildlife to photograph, decided to do some fishing.  I did find a few wild friends to chase, however.
This was going to be sort of an osprey kind of day as there was a pair of them hanging out together in the trees close to the water.  One of them had a fish in his talons but, I couldn't approach close enough to get a good picture.  Actually, I couldn't get anywhere near either of them.  These ospreys up here on the Holston are a jumpy lot.  If you look closely you'll see that he is holding a fish with his right foot.
It seems that ospreys can't ever just gently glide off their perches.  They always make a grand production of the leap into space.  They approach life with vigor, which is what you'd expect from an aristocratic raptor.
The second osprey hesitated just long enough for me to get a couple shots off before he also departed his perch on a limb.



These are larger birds than I normally see.  I wonder if it's an age thing.
 And yet another one.

It was right about here that I decided to do a little fishing.  But, not before photographing one more bird celebrity.


 He's a belted kingfisher.

I fished for about three hours for bluegills.  I know I caught over a hundred of them.  Don't worry - I pinched the barb down on the hook so they could be released very easily.  I was catching them in such numbers that I became bored with the affair and switched back to photography.  I decided to beach the Gheenoe and just sit around for awhile to see if some warblers would appear.  As it turns out, they didn't.


Wow - time was flying.  I kept active the entire time on the water either photographing things or fishing.  Where'd the day go?  This has been one of the best days I ever spent on the water.
The wind was picking up for some reason and it was getting difficult to hold the camera steady.  It is 4PM and I started to work my way back to the boat ramp.  I can't believe how fast time flew by.
 I saw an immature black crowned night heron picking around in a little opening in the grass.  I know how much you folks like to see them so I photographed him.


A red tail hawk landed perfectly in a tree beside me.  Perfectly is subjective as he made sure to be back lighted with white sky.
And, an osprey landed near by just after I photographed the hawk.  He too made sure he had the white sky behind him.  I know Dick - I'll check out the yellow filter.

Oh well - it was a nice day on the river.  It's always a nice day.  Guess where I'll be tomorrow morning.  That's right.  I'll be back up here.  Love it.  See ya.

















8 comments :

  1. Lovely photos.

    Our Kingfisher is very colourful. Do you get other Kingfishers, or just that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not like the new system for leaving comments Does not notify me when more replies are added.
    Sounds like you had a couple of great days off.Shade is probably trying to figure out how to get in a saddle bag.LOL
    With that many Gill in an area it might have been good to keep some. They tend to overpopulate and become stunted and sickly.And they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean Dick. See if it reverts back to the way it was now.

      Delete
  3. The belted kingfisher is the only one in this area. There is a green kingfisher but it is far to the southwest. Some belted kingfisher adults have a brown band across their chest while other adults don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I tried that and it went to a create your own Blogger site no mail sub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now I have the e mail notice but I dont know where the first 2 comments went

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick, I put this back the way it was. If you left comments on here, they got deleted. It should all be back normal again. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
    2. This comment stuff should be back to the old regular way. Let me know if it's still acting weird. Thanks. Gary

      Delete

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments