Saturday, August 10, 2013

MANTIS SUN/RAIN SHIELD

Before I get into this entry, I'm pleased to say that The American Eagle Foundation released two more immature bald eagles from their hacking tower located on Douglas Lake here in East Tennessee.  This is exciting news and the AEF deserves kudos for their bald eagle restoration efforts.  The two youngsters were released August 10, 2013 and word is they are doing well.  For more information about this particular eagle release - go to the links I've posted below.  Thanks.

www.eagles.org

I wanted to run down to Douglas Lake and see if I could put the lens on one or both of the new introduced eagles.  The sun was blazing early this afternoon and I don't wear short sleeve shirts in the sun so, I retrieved an accessory that I haven't attached to the Gheenoe in a couple years.  It is called a Mantis boat umbrella.  It's not really an umbrella - it's a, well, look below.
A lot of fishermen and animal watchers install regular umbrellas behind the seats on their boats and some buy umbrella installation kits that allow a more substantial umbrella install to the boats.  The Mantis sun shade is a professional way of staying out of the sun and is effective as a shield against light, straight down rain.
The post that holds the shield is fully adjustable up and down as well as side to side.
The top offers great coverage and puts the seat on the Gheenoe instantly in shade.

The shield can be tilted forward or backward guaranteeing perfect shade or rain protection.  The fabric is not the light weight rip stop material that clothing is made of or even for tents.  It is real marine treated canvas and very tough.



The hardware and locking device are made of very substantial materials.  Aluminum makes up the framework and industrial plastic serves as the locking device material.
 The adjuster knob above and below allows the main support post to be tilted forward or backward.  Note the lever clamp below the knob that provides an adjustable friction clamp onto the mounting post.


The mantis can be left open while driving on the water but, top safe speed is about 20 miles per hour.  If faster speed is desired - the Mantis should be collapsed against it's post.  It takes three seconds to do that.


Once collapsed, any speed may be attained.
When collapsed and in the configuration shown above and below - the Mantis post will not catch wind and the boat may be pulled down the highway at interstate speed.


So, all set to go to the lake for some eagle searching.  I get in the truck and fire it up just as the rain started falling.  I can't believe it.  Oh well, I can hang out with the dogs.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.  I really want to photograph those two eagles with wing tags.  It's exciting.  See you later.  




















1 comment :

  1. I like that,not so much for me as for Bodie.I leave her at home on hot sunny days and this would provide her with much needed shade.Got caught in a rain last week on the Calfkiller pulled into an over hanging rock ledge with a lot of big trees and sat nice and dry eating my lunch and looking out at a jungle scene of quarter size raindrops falling thru the leaves and dimpling the river,really nice.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments