Friday, October 3, 2014

SOME INTEREST SHOTS

Shot on Douglas Lake

I've been on Douglas Lake as well as the Tailrace of Cherokee lake the past few days and have been involved in planting and caring for bushes, plants and trees on the property.  I'm happy I became involved in plants, flowers, trees and shrubs as they have instigated a deeper appreciation for things green and I've discovered that their planting and care are addictive.  
Furthermore, I've sold the Gheenoe and am trying to get used to the fact that I now have no "personal" craft with which to explore the water.  I do have two boats that I use to satisfy my state job tasks but those boats can not be used for personal purpose.  We'll see how long I can go without a personal watercraft.  I have a few ideas about it.  The Gheenoe went to a wonderful family and will be appreciated and cared for as well if not better than when I had it.  OtterChase is no more but her memory and exploratory expeditions are  recorded in the countless photographs contained in my archives,  just like my boy Douglas is.


 And, Autumn is finally upon us....

This entry is comprised of photos I took during the process of completing other tasks over the past few days.  There was no intention to go out and collect special shots of interest or once in a lifetime photos of unusual wildlife or landscapes.  Its all just pictures.  The shot below is of a tree with the early morning soft light striking it high up on its trunk.  Not unusual I guess but a pretty moment documented.
A couple days were spent on the tailrace of Cherokee Dam which is in reality the Holston River where its released from the bottom of the dam.
 Above is a foggy morning alongside the river where the trees are tall and indistinct in the distance.  The shot makes me think of lonely wilderness - someplace pristine, if that's possible.
 I photographed an otter one day on the bank in the shot above.  I'll never forget it.
I ran across the little display above not far from my home.  I do love morning glories.
 Now, these are my morning glories.
 Pay close attention to the old white stump.  Notice anything special about it?
I am amazed at the transformation of this property since I decided to immerse myself into planting and caring for plants.  I hate seeing flowers and shrubs planted in circles and lines or cute designs and would rather have a more natural disbursement of growth sort of, well, all over the place.

 The structure above was one of the best things I ever built.  The plants are growing up the sides and across the top already.  Next year should find everything well rooted and established with a healthy, long season to grow and rapidly climb across the top of the trellis.  
 The vinca has climbed up the side and is now wrapping itself around the top boards of the trellis.



 I found the end of an old picnic table laying on an obscure shoreline of the lake.  It looked like it might prove to be an interesting piece of yard art.

I almost forgot this little guy:
 Its a acronicta labelia and is a oak leaf eating caterpillar.  The last picture indicates what the finished product looks like.  Caterpillars are created to look dangerous to thwart annoying predators.  Such is the case with this species.  Hes harmless with his two sets of eyes.  Two red spots on the head and two black spots toward the rear on top are designed to fool a hungry bird or preying mantis.
When its all said and done - its just a moth....

And a final thought - Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson hosted a dog adoption day last week and the event was really big.  Below are a couple fast clips of a competitive event where dogs dive and swim.  The little fellow in the cage below had me thinking.

I just barely got the next movie as I had the camera set improperly.  Hey, I'm not a movie guy.
I'll be back on the lake tomorrow and I've rented a Harley Davidson Ultra-classic for next Tuesday to travel across the Chirohalla Skyway to Robinsville, North Carolina. That will happen if the weather holds out.   Stay in touch and thanks for looking in.







No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your interest in my blog and welcome your comments